by Carolyn Edlund
How your customer – and your creative business – can benefit from selling work in forms that offer ease and convenience.
Wikipedia defines the word turnkey as
Ready to use. Complete in its existing form, down to every detail.
This describes many commercial products sold to consumers for the purpose of being used instantly, without additional thought or preparation. And not surprisingly, people like this type of convenience.
Why should an artist consider convenience and “ready to use” as an element to build into their offering? And how can they take advantage of using turnkey solutions to increase their sales?
People considering an art purchase have one primary thing in mind, and that is themselves. They want art that suits their tastes, that pleases them, and that will be easy to buy and to display. Nobody wants extra hassles or expenses to worry about, and that goes double for most online buyers today, who rank convenience high on their list.
As an artist with a small business, you are uniquely positioned to be lean and nimble in what you create and how you present your work. Oftentimes it means you spend more time, effort and talent on your art, which makes it more valuable and more expensive than manufactured products. But at the same time, you can also use turnkey elements that appeal to customers and help them make the purchase. How?
As a characteristic of the product:
- An original or reproduction which is delivered ready to hang or install without additional effort or cost.
- An item packaged in such a way to be ready for the customer to ship, or easily place in a suitcase.
- Packaging for retailers (in the case of items consigned or wholesaled) that can easily be displayed in a store environment, or that come with a display fixture ready to go on the floor.
As part of the service which the artist provides:
- A package that includes the price of the art, plus shipping and insurance so that no additional concern or calculation is necessary.
- Gift wrapping or packaging provided by the artist to provide a memorable unboxing experience for the recipient.
- Complete installation of the artwork provided as a part of the purchase package.
Do you currently offer any of these, or similar turnkey options that fit your work? They can make the difference in closing the sale. And, they can be used as selling points when speaking with potential customers and in your marketing campaigns.
We’ve opened an online art gallery! Shop Now.