by guest blogger Connie Mettler
What is America’s Best Art Fair? Anyone reading this is invested in the business of creating and selling art. Artists have opportunities to share their best shows, but who asks the art buyers?
Art Fair Calendar’s mission is to promote the uniquely American tradition of art fairs and craft shows by showcasing the events where art collectors find hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind fine work for sale and encourage the interaction of client and creator. We sent emails to our 50,000+ subscriber list and posted it through our websites, Facebook and Twitter. Friends took it and shared it also. The results reflect the art fair buyers perspectives, because as we know: no buyers, no show.
The survey’s purpose: disseminate the information to encourage “Art fair tourism.”
One voter said it all:
In these days of strip malls and cookie cutter chain stores, art fairs are undeniably the most interesting shopping venues left in the country. The booths are laid out like a string of pearls with surprises in every one.
The top 50 fairs have exciting quality art, fascinating artists and ever-changing venues in big cities and small towns, oceanfront and lakefront. It all adds to the diversity of your experience and keeps you coming back.
BEST OF SHOW: The Ann Arbor Art Fairs, July 15-18, 2015
(four concurrent shows are held throughout the University of Michigan Campus and downtown Ann Arbor). Survey says: “Big and beautiful. Four art fairs all in one place – what could be better?” (This fair received so many votes we made a special category for it. If you’ve never attended and you love art fairs, perhaps 2015 is the year for you.)
AMERICA’S BEST ART FAIRS – the Top Ten
- Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival, Winter Park, FL (March 20-22, 2015)
- Old Town Art Fair – Chicago (June 13 & 14, 2015)
- Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, the Original, Ann Arbor, MI (July 15-18, 2015)
- Lakefront Festival of the Arts, Milwaukee (June 19-21, 2015)
- Coconut Grove Arts Festival, Miami, FL (February 14-16, 2015)
- Krasl Art Fair, St. Joseph, MI (July 11 & 12, 2015)
- Mount Dora Art Festival, Mount Dora, FL (February 7 & 8, 2015)
- Cherry Creek Art Festival, Denver, CO (July 3-5, 2015)
- MAIN ST. Fort Worth Arts Festival, Fort Worth, TX (April 9-12, 2015)
- Peoria Art Guild Fine Art Fair, Peoria, IL (Sept. 26 & 27, 2015)
Find the entire Top 50 art fairs, craft shows and art festivals, including the Best Regional shows, the best urban show, and interesting demographic information right here.
At that link there are more details about who took the survey, why people come to art shows, what they buy, why they buy and why they don’t come to some shows any more, including a lot of great tips for show organizers.
Want to download an podcast and listen to a discussion of the results? Listen here.
We talk about more of the details and share statistics. Our guest Laura Berarducci, Marketing Director of the Ann Arbor Convention and Visitors Bureau talks about the economic impact of the popular art fair on their region.
Get the official 60 page report, an analysis of the results of the survey, including what the buyers say
- why these are the best art shows
- why they attend art fairs and what makes them come to a show
- why they stop attending a formerly favorite art event
- valuable ideas on how to improve a festival from the art buyer’s perspective
Get the report here: America’s Best Fine Art and Craft Shows