by guest blogger Amy Wax
Color911 App creator Amy Wax impressed us with the uses this tool has to offer artists, so we asked her to write a guest article to explain her new product.
There are many tools that help an artist excel at what they do best. The Color911 has proven to be a must-have for many artists, and I’ll show you why.
What makes the Color911 app different is that it was created by an artist and color expert and is designed for a creative person rather than a tech expert. I personally found that communicating a color is almost impossible to do and I needed a way of showing someone what color I had in mind; I also wanted people I was working with to have a way to show me colors they loved. I was also looking for a way of saving a color or colors that inspired me. As an artist, I realized that I needed a tool to help me save, record and share colors. That is what inspired me to create the Color911 app.
Helping people share their color inspiration is important for many creative fields. The Color911 helps people communicate what inspires them, provides over 100 color themes for color inspiration and is a personal tool that gives every artist an easy way to save what has caught their eye that they might want to remember.
What surprised me through this whole process is that everyone from fine artists to graphic designers found the app to be helpful and creatively inspiring.
I recently met with a few artists and they shared with me how the app has personally been a huge help to them. It opened my eyes to creative stimulus I had not even thought of, and I’m happy to share how they have used the app and how it has been a valuable tool for each of them.
Here’s how the Color911 app is a helpful tool for every artist to have:
- If there is something that inspires you, it is easy to capture the colors and save the lighter, darker, stronger or paler hues in your own library of color palettes. You can adjust the brightness, saturation or hue of any color, so that it is exactly what you want it to be.
- Pre-made color themes in the app provide color inspiration that can open your eyes to new possibilities. Seeing new color combinations might give you a new direction or idea you might not have thought of!
- Color911 gives you a clear and easy way to receive or present colors to clients. Want to show someone what you have in mind, or work with a designer who wants to show you what colors they would like you to work with? With the Color911 app you can share your colors through social media or privately in an email.
- One of the artists I met with likes to start with color, and making her palette first frees her up to be creative and enjoy the artistic process using the color palette she made as her guide.
- Capturing accurate colors is priceless. Want to save the colors of a beautiful sunrise, colorful fabric or design of a room? Capture the colors with the app and let your creative process work with the true colors, not what you remember them to be.
- You can save your colors and color palettes or even put them in folders if you would like to organize them. In the image you can see the list of palettes I created that I have on my iPhone. Having that to refer to has been a great resource for me. I have the actual colors I am working with, or that I created a palette for to use in the future.
Everyone uses color differently. For some, it is what starts the creative process. For others, getting their colors to be perfect is a real challenge. The app helps you do what you do best, and gives you the tool to keep you in control of your art without letting the colors get in your way. We all appreciate true inspiration, and using the app is like having a best friend helping you through the colors that you choose or the colors that seem to choose you!
Amy Wax is a professional consultant who is recognized for her expertise in color and design. Her company, Your Color Source Studios, Inc., specializes in the use of color for paint and other products and finishes in residential and commercial buildings. She is the creator of the award-winning Color 911® app, and the author of two bestselling books on color selection.
Want to stay current on cutting edge business articles from Artsy Shark, plus artist features, and an invitation to the next Call for Artists? Click below to sign up for our twice-monthly email. You’ll get all this plus opportunities and special offers that you can’t get anywhere else!